Florentino Perez needs to find a new coach for 2024 – GOAL runs through the main contenders for the hotseat at Santiago Bernabeu
The cat is finally out of the bag. In confirming Fernando Diniz as the national team's interim boss on Tuesday, Brazil Football Confederation (CBF) president Ednaldo Rodrigues also revealed the Fluminense manager's successor. "Diniz's game plan is almost similar to that of the coach that will take over at Copa America – (Carlo) Ancelotti," Rodrigues said.
Even though Ancelotti still has a year to run on his current contract with Real Madrid, the news did not come as a major surprise, given Brazil have been chasing the Italian for some time now. It wasn't a question of if he would assume control of the Selecao, but when the announcement would be made.
What is less clear, though, is Madrid's succession plan. We don't yet know who will replace Ancelotti in the hot seat at Santiago Bernabeu.Several coaches have been linked with the vacancy but, as GOAL outlines below, some contenders are better-placed to take the reins next year than others…
(C)Getty ImagesJulian Nagelsmann
The German has been linked with Madrid ever since he was sensationally sacked by Bayern Munich in March and that's hardly surprising. While things turned sour at the Allianz Arena, Nagelsmann is still regarded as one of the most innovative young coaches in the game today, as underlined by links with the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham and Napoli.
He's also clearly prepared to wait for the right job to come along. However, would he really be prepared to wait another year for the Madrid job to become available? Granted, Nagelsmann is still only 35, so it's not as if he should be in any rush to get back in the game, but it would be a shock if he doesn't accept another role before the summer of 2024.
AdvertisementGettyAntonio Conte
The Italian was a serious contender to take over at the Bernabeu in 2018, but then-captain Sergio Ramos made his opposition to the potential appointment very clear. "Respect is earned, not imposed," the centre-back said at the time.
Things have changed quite a bit since then, of course. There aren't quite so many egos in the Madrid dressing room, but one does still wonder if the notoriously combustible Conte is really the right character for a club that affords its superstars a level of freedom and influence that would be anathema to the former Spurs coach.
On the other hand, one could argue that Conte is exactly what's needed to shake things up – as he did so successfully at the likes of Juventus, Chelsea and Inter – but it feels far more likely that he will accept an offer from a side promising him far more control than he would be afforded at the Bernabeu long before Ancelotti departs.
(C)GettyImagesJose Mourinho
Fans of controversy would undeniably love to see 'The Special One' back at the Bernabeu. Lest anyone forget, Mourinho turned the Clasico into such a toxic contest that it led to a deep division in the Spain camp between Madrid and Barcelona players.
He's not mellowed in old age, either. If anything, he's even more aggressive and abrasive than ever before, and he's also not lost his ability to whip an entire fanbase into a frenzy, so a Real return would be absolute box office. Perhaps most importantly, it's probable that Mourinho, who backed down on his threat to quit Roma this summer, will be available next year.
However, whether Perez wants to go through all that drama again remains very much open to debate. Talk to any member of the Madrid press and they'll tell you that when Mourinho left a decade ago, they were glad to see the back of the Portuguese, who accused the local media of hating him and described the 2012-13 season as "the worst" of his career.
Alvaro Arbeloa
The former Liverpool full-back will be a surprise inclusion on this list for some people, but he is very highly regarded at Madrid – and not just because he is a former youth-team and Castilla player who went on to enjoy two separate spells with the senior squad. Indeed, Arbeloa is making quite the name for himself at under-age level – he currently coaches the club's Juvenil A – and is being touted as a future manager of the first team.
However, even with another year of experience under his belt, it would be hugely surprising if Perez turned to Arbeloa. If the president goes with an internal appointment, there is somebody ahead of Arbeloa in the pecking order – but more about him later…